The river catching fish is always an interesting outdoor activity. It includes wading through your favorite water and searching beautiful trout or other types of fish. One of the important gears to help you access the water is fishing waders and accessories.
To get the fit equipment, you certainly spend some time to research on wader basics and information about how to use best breathable waders. Then, you can stay in safe and enjoy the wading during the trip. Look at these tips to know the guide of buying, caring, and wearing your waders.
How to choose the best fit waders
Waders which fit totally will be more durable and comfortable. The measurement is that your waders are tight enough to hold your feet but they don’t stress the seam when you bend down low. If the waders are too loose or too tight, they will make you uncomfortable. Then, you should have neoprene folds inside the wading boots to make them fit.
How to repair the waders
Unfortunately, waders have chances to puncture or tear damage when you’re on the river bank. Thus, care is necessary to make sure the problem is solved. You can repair small leaks and tears by yourself at home of in the field, but it’s preferable to send the large damage and serious tears to the repair service. Below is the simple guide to repair the small damage.
- Dry the outside and inside of waders.
- Find the puncture from the inside part.
- If your naked eyes can’t find all damages, you can use the leak detector (for instance Stormsure Leak Doctor) to spray down in the layer.
- Mark all dark patches appearing later by a marker pen.
- Apply a thin cover into the damage.
- If you’re repairing in the outside, use Loon UV to coat the spot, then put them in the sunlight or a torch light to repair.
- In the case, you are fixing in a room, use Aquasure and leave the coat overnight to repair.
- For your hand safety, use a glove, bag, or brush to apply the coating.
- If the hole is quite large, use a sticky tape to seal the damage from the outside layer.
- Remove the cover when you find it’s totally cured.
For repairing the non-breathable waders, you can also do the same guide described above. However, dip the pair into the water to find leaks instead of using the leak detector. Then, you can use a waterproof pen to mark holes and apply aquasure into these areas for fixing. With large tears, patching is a good treatment.
What to wear with waders
When your clothing supports the maximum comfort, dry and warm, you will feel less tired and can enjoy fishing in the longer time.
- Wear a hat to protect your head when it’s cold.
- When fishing from your boat or wading in the deep and fast water, a life jacket is the essential addition of your fishing gear.
- Stay comfortable and dry with your fit base layers.
- On cold days, you will need insulating layers to increase the warmth and dry for your body when fishing.
- Another important item for winter fishing is your fleece gloves.
- To protect yourself from any weather, you should wear a wading jacket that should be breathable and waterproof. It can prevent condensation growing inside and keep you warm and dry.
- It’s ideal to wear a pair of chest waders that help you wade in the deep water and can be removed if it’s warmer. However, you need to choose the best quality for the maximum durability. The wading stockingfoot with separate wading boots can be your perfect option since they offer versatility and better fit.
- When wading, you need a good pair of wading boots that help you walk safely on the rough and wet bottoms of the water. You can choose typical felt soles with studs or a modern rubber tread patterns.
- To keep your feet warm and dry, always wear decent wading socks.
- If you want to get more balance and security when wading, the wading staff is effective.
Those are the wading basics and tips to help you wade more enjoyable and safer. Always prepare your fishing gear thoroughly before starting a fishing trip.
Have a nice trip!